In an effort to move away from cheesy recipes I researched a few cashew sauce like recipes and improvised to come with my own. The main thing to remember is that the cashews have to soak in water overnight or at least for a few hours.
Disclaimer Alert – Just so you know I cook off the cuff and with what I have on hand so getting absolute with the amounts is a challenge!
Here is what you will need –
- 3/4 C Cashews (place in bowl with water overnight or at least 4 hours)
- 1 Ripened Avocado
- Unsweetened Almond milk (enough to make it creamy)
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (to taste)
- Splash of Lemon Juice
- Sea Salt
- Course Ground Black Pepper
- (other options are minced refrigerator garlic, red pepper flakes)
With my Kitchen Aid Hand Mixer Set I add the Cashews and Avocado and mix until they are ground together. Add the Lemon and Balsamic Vinaigrette. I then add the Almond Milk enough to make a thick sauce (depending on what you are putting it on you may want it to be thinner). At the end I add the spices.
I paired with the cream sauce with veggies. I refrigerated the leftovers and found it was still perfectly tasty and good to eat the next day. You never know with avocado’s if it will brown out but it stayed the nice green color!